Cedar infuses the fish with a subtle, woodsy smokiness for a perfect tapas-style dish.
Preparation: 30 min.
1/2 cup 125 mL mayonnaise
2 tbsp 30 mL each minced red onion and parsley
2 tsp 10 mL each lemon zest and Sriracha sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb 454 g Great Lakes Food Cleaned Smelt, defrosted
Large cedar plank, soaked at least 2 hours
Sea salt and pepper
Olive oil and lemon wedges
SAUCE: Blend mayonnaise with onion, parsley, lemon zest, Sriracha sauce and garlic; set aside.
PREHEAT grill to medium. Arrange smelt in a single layer on plank; season liberally with salt and pepper. Set plank on grate; grill, with lid closed, for 12 minutes. Transfer plank to a large trivet or board. Drizzle smelt with oil and surround with lemon wedges. Serve with sauce. Serves 4 to 6.
- Rather than wedges, grill lemon halves to concentrate and sweeten the juice to squeeze over the fish.
- Brush slices of baguette with olive oil and grill to serve alongside the smelt.
- Create a tapas-style platter by adding mixed olives, hot peppers and other garnishes.
- For a rustic look, serve right off the plank, but line your surface with parchment or paper to avoid the transfer of soot from the underside of the board.
- Replace Sriracha sauce with any favourite hot sauce. Or, for a milder yet still zesty complement, use Dijon mustard.